Da Mek Shop Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Inquisition War Is Coming, Have you the Faith to Survive?

Author Topic: Skryre madness?  (Read 81 times)

krins

Skryre madness?
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »

Anyone familiar with the Skryre Cohort formation?  Gautfyre Scorch is obviously outrageous, but I want people to ever play me so I figured only 1 of 2 enginecovens will be Gautfyre.  I am torn between Gascloud Chokelung (Warlock engy, 1-3 stormfiends, 2-5 skryre acolytes, 1-3 poisoned wind mortars:in hero phase pick a mortar or acolyte within 13" of the engy, 2+ they deal d6 mortal wounds to a target in their range, on a 1 the mortar or acolyte take d3 mortal wounds) and Arkhspark voltik (Engy and 1-3 warp lightning cannons: in the hero phase a WLC within 13" of the engy can fire then roll a d6.  on a 4+ cannon is fine, otherwise it takes d6 mortal wounds).  The cannon is really variable, but it has decent range and hot mortal wounding goodness.  The poison units have above average rend at -2 and excel against larger units (+1 to hit for both against units with 10 or more) while ignoring the necessity for LoS.  The chokelung would cost me at least a stormfiend box and a couple acolytes in dat hoomun currency, but I will need several pieces for the scorch so adding is already on the table.  I could field the arkhspark formation in its bare minimums right now.  I even have a 2nd lightning cannon but it is super badly damaged and came as the 7th round draft pick in my trade for the first cannon.
Raven Guard 3rd Company
"The Ghoststalkers"
Victorus Aut Mortis.

uatu13

Re: Skryre madness?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:54 AM »

Haven't read those before, are they only in the grand alliance book? I didn't know those books had exclusive formations  :P
Visit my store - The Forge: Warhammer Hobby Store, for tons of great deals on 40K, Age Of Sigmar, and everything Games Workshop!

Check out or website at TheForgeWHS.com for monthly specials, call at (541) 689-8435, and visit us at 1851 River Rd. in Eugene, Oregon!

krins

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »

Oh yeah, Gautfyre scorch is insane.  You can guarantee the entire 1-3 stormfiends and 1-5 warpfire throwers come in from reserve with a single warp grinder, you can even put them within 3" of an enemy model for the cost of d6 mortal wounds on each model you place within 3" of an enemy.  Fortunately the warpfire projectors on stormfiends (2d3 mortal wounds guaranteed per stormfiend, up to 6d3) and warpfire throwers (pretty reliable d6 mortal wounds, so 5d6 mortal wounds for a casual average of 26.5 average mortal wounds before a super violent stormfiend charge from 4" on the alpha strike.  Doesn't account for a warpfire thrower blowing itself up... but that is like 16% to even trouble you with self-harm and like 5% the team blows themselves up) don't need to be closer than 8" to do their mortal wounding goodness, can be at 4" riskfree for a pretty brief and breezy charge for stormfiends, and your arch-warlock could give his single dice reroll to the stormfiend seemingly least likely to make his charge if terrain/bubble wrap force a longer than optimal charge.  I basically see this as the directionally opposite version of drop podding in flamer dreadnoughts but in a cute, psychopathic rat body achieving effectively the same tactical role of delivery boot to the face.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:50:13 AM by krins »
Raven Guard 3rd Company
"The Ghoststalkers"
Victorus Aut Mortis.

uatu13

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check the formations out. Skryre is my favorite Skaven faction, so it's cool they got some love in the grand alliance book.
Visit my store - The Forge: Warhammer Hobby Store, for tons of great deals on 40K, Age Of Sigmar, and everything Games Workshop!

Check out or website at TheForgeWHS.com for monthly specials, call at (541) 689-8435, and visit us at 1851 River Rd. in Eugene, Oregon!